Donna Taurel Educational Scholarship
Funded through the Zonta Club of Franklin Area, North Carolina
The Zonta Club of Franklin Area established this Educational Scholarship in honor of founding member, Donna Taurel, who passed away on Sunday, March 8, 2009. During her career, Donna was a registered nurse, business woman and entrepreneur. As a long time Zontian, Donna worked tirelessly to advance the status of women through service and advocacy. The Zonta Club of Franklin Area, in her memory, is committed to assisting women in Macon County realize their educational goals.
Note: Download may be slow. If you cannot download, request application be mailed to you.
The Donna Taurel Educational Scholarship is awarded to women undertaking a course of study who have demonstrated outstanding potential in that particular field. The Zonta Club of Franklin Area offers scholarships based on available funding, applicant need and proposal made. Women who are legal residents of Macon County, North Carolina, and undertaking a course of study at an accredited university/college/institute, enrolled in the course of study at the time the application is submitted, are eligible to apply. The scholarship may be used at any university, college or institute offering accredited courses and degrees. Previous Donna Taurel Educational Scholarship recipients may not apply to renew the Scholarship for a second year.
Who is Eligible?
Women pursuing a course of study who demonstrate outstanding potential in that particular field are eligible. On-line students are also eligible. Members of the Zonta Club of Franklin Area are not eligible to apply for the Scholarship.
What are the Requirements?
Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
v Be a legal resident of Macon County, North Carolina
v Be undertaking a course of study at an accredited university/college/institute.
v Be enrolled in the course of study at the time the application is submitted.
v Achieved an outstanding academic record during her academic studies, maintaining a B or higher GPA.
v Demonstrated initiative, ambition and commitment to pursuing a career in the course of study.
How Do I Apply?
Complete an official application in English (may be printed or downloaded from the Zonta Club of Franklin Area website (www.zontafranklinnc.org), and include:
1. The name, position and contact details (email and telephone) of a faculty member in the major field of study who may be contacted by the evaluation committee for a confidential reference.
2. The name, position and contact details (email and telephone) of an employer, volunteer supervisor, or academic advisor who may be contacted by the evaluation committee for a confidential reference. (Members of the Zonta Club of Franklin Area are not eligible to write recommendation letters for applicants.)
3. An essay in 500 words or less that clearly describes your academic and professional goals, the relevance of your program, and how the Donna Taurel Educational Scholarship will assist you in reaching your goals.
4. Verification of enrollment from the university/college/institute registrar.
5. Transcripts of grades or equivalent records for all universities, colleges, or institutes, with an explanation of the grading system for each transcript submitted.
6. All non-English documents must be translated in English.
7. All application materials must be received at the Zonta Club of Franklin Area by the deadline printed on the application.
8. Articles, pamphlets, books, curriculum vitae or other publications are not requested and will not be considered.
9. Applications that are incomplete or late due to postal delays, transmittal by third parties, or other circumstances will not be considered. Applications are accepted by mail or email. Email submissions are preferred. Applications submitted by email must be sent as a PDF.
What is the Application Process?
The Zonta Club of Franklin Area Scholarship Committee will consider applications and select one applicant to bring before the general membership at a regularly scheduled monthly meeting for approval. Once the general membership approves the recipient arrangements are made to award the Scholarship.
How may I use the Scholarship Funds?
1. The scholarship may be used for tuition, books, fees, supplies or required equipment for the program of study.
2. For domestic recipients studying in the United States, scholarship funds used for tuition, books, fees, supplies or required equipment for the program of study are not considered taxable income.
3. Recipients are not permitted to defer the Scholarship. The Zonta Club of Franklin Area will consider a new application the following year, but no preferential consideration will be given to the second application.
4. Recipients may accept additional grants and scholarships from other sources.
Applications received by the Zonta Club of Franklin Area: May 1
Club recipient is selected: July 1